Read On San Carlos Apache Tribe
Read on San Carlos Apache Tribe is focused on achieving greater awareness of literacy, school attendance, identifying gaps and enabling collaboration across community efforts to include and support early literacy initiatives.
Our vision is to address the challenges in improving reading achievement in the San Carlos Apache Tribe—particularly among our at-risk children—including developing solutions for certain critical areas of focus such as: school readiness, early grade success, family engagement, professional development, chronic absence, and summer learning loss.
Areas of Focus:
- 100 percent participation in the Reading Challenge from early childhood centers and local schools including the summer Reading Challenge.
- Increase and support summer retention literacy programs.
- Increasing general awareness in the community on the importance of early literacy in brain development.
Current Collaborative Partners
- San Carlos Unified School District
- St. Charles Catholic School
- Peridot-Our Savior’s Lutheran School
- San Carlos Apache Tribe Apache Kid Child Care Center
- San Carlos Apache Tribe Head Start
- San Carlos Apache Tribe Social Services Department
- The United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona
- The University of Arizona Cooperative Extension offices of San Carlos and Graham & Pinal Counties
- San Carlos Apache Tribe Language Preservation Department
- Gila County Library District
- San Carlos Apache Tribe Public Health Nursing
- San Carlos Apache Tribe Education Department
- San Carlos Apache Tribe Wellness Center
- First Things First San Carlos Apache Regional Partnership Council
- San Carlos Public Library